BIO360: Compostable Mulch Film.

12. December 2022 | Material, Plastics | via


Much film enhances crop quality, reduces labor costs, and saves time. (Credit: Wolfgang Brauner / Pixabay)

Mulching is standard practice to suppress weeds and conserve water when growing specialty crops, like tomatoes, pumpkins and strawberries. BIO360 is the result of over fifteen years of research and development to create a high-quality mulch that is completely biodegradable, compostable and chemicals & heavy metals free. Biodegradable plastic mulch (BDM) was introduced back in the 1990s. Further research and innovation has made it an environmentally friendly and sustainable alternative to regular plastic mulch. BDM can be mowed down into the ground together with the crop at the end of a season. That makes tedious collection of the foil obsolete, eliminating environmental issues plus reducing labor costs and saving time. “BDM must meet specific composting and biodegradability tests for vegetable production environmental conditions. Requirements state that BDM must be 90% biodegraded into carbon and water within two years of being tilled into the soil, the remaining 10% is a microbial biomass.” states the owner of the video below, UConn Extension, a platform that offers access to research and resources of the University of Connecticut’s College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources.

Biodegradable Mulch: A Climate Smart Innovation for Vegetable Producers (UConn Extension)